Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The social side

Today I went to the wall to climb with K and shortly after he got there, another guy came over to climb with us also. I'd met him before but never for more than a few minutes. He comes to Redhill about once a week I gather and tends to climb there on spec, and twice a week with a regular partner at K2.

The most difficult thing about climbing for me is my social awkwardness in certain situations. Away from climbing I'm not a shy person really and I'm not used to having to deal with it. I felt surplus this evening. I went over to consider bouldering but it was really crowded so I came back. We ended up climbing as a three. He was heavy (18 stone) so we used a ground-anchor; K didn't like using that so I belayed C each time. He's been climbing as an adult for 18 months; seems to climb up to 6b. He chats as he belays and doesn't watch as closely as K or I would but I know many more experienced climbers are similar. He fought quite hard on some routes and trusted my belaying, both of which I admired. He seemed to be able to use either strength or footwork/features but not both on the same route though; interesting.

I found it hard - impossible - to take as long as I normally would on repeated attempts at things because, climbing as a three, there is less time. Also I felt awkward at my low level although less so than I did a few months ago. I know I need to get less thin-skinned. It's nice to enjoy it socially but that's not the main reason for my going. I am particularly frustrated beause I'd made a plan of things I wanted to work on as per the 9 out of 10 climbers book, but having an extra person there threw me so I didn't do the work I intended to. But new people are good in themselves and there will be loads of other times to implement that.

He had climbed the local outdoors area and explained the set-up there to me, which book he found helpful, how it worked. Useful.

I got up the supposed, v short, 6b again but got spat off a 5 I did last week with B. Was too shy to push for more time. Had a good think about the purple at the end which has a rope on it again finally; I get up that much better now though not to the top. Managed to repeat another 5 from last week.

K said he'd like to go along if I go to Sandstone with D (who I met a few weeks ago). I think I'll go alone with him the first time and go with K separately, maybe after I get my own rope. I'll talk to K about this.

I'm also determined to spend some time bouldering when it's quiet some time.

I know that very soon these tricky social moments will be in the past. I nearly left at one point early this evening - well not that nearly, did manage to keep toys in pram.

It takes all sorts, and I won't let myself get all socially spineless when there's climbing to be enjoyed. More effort to be put in next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment